vanilla ice cream
One afternoon, my sister called me raving about this new GF and dairy free ice cream on the market, called Sid Wiggy’s. So, the next time I was at the store I bought some. It is divine. We didn’t have a hard time polishing it off. Instead of buying it by the case, I decided to try and make my own…You can make this without the vanilla seeds if you don’t have a bean on hand. But, with the seeds the ice cream has a wonderful depth of flavor – true vanilla essence.
1 chilled 15 oz can organic coconut milk (I like Whole Foods “365 brand”)
non-dairy milk or water
1/3 cup agave nectar
seeds scraped from 1 good quality vanilla bean (about 1/8 tsp)
1 tsp GF vanilla
- Place coconut milk in measuring cup. Pour in enough water or nut milk to make liquid total 2 cups. Transfer to blender.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the vanilla bean lengthwise. Holding the vanilla bean open with your fingers, scrape/remove the seeds with the edge of the knife and place into blender.
- Pour all remaining ingredients into blender and puree.
- Transfer liquid ingredients into chilled bowl of ice cream maker (I have a Cuisinart). Turn button on.
- Let process in ice cream maker for 20-25 minutes. Transfer to freezer-proof glass dish and freeze.